Nagykörű can be found in North-East of Szolnok. According to the sources, the area has been inhabited for thousands of years.
The history of the village is not separable from the river. Before the regulation of waterways, the life of people living here depended on the water of the river: the fertile drainage area and its fauna and flora gave the inhabitants fish, fruit and vegetables. On the pasture, the herd of cattle could graze rich grass, and the famous Hungarian pig, the so-called mangalica could also find place in the shallow waters.
The first written document of the settlement is from 1067. In the 1300s, the village with a monastery belonged to governor Lothar, than, in 1318 Charles I Hungarian king donated it to Péter Kompolty ealdorman under the name Kürümonostora. The church of the settlement already existed as early as 1330.
The moor of the area helped the inhabitant survive the Turkish oppression, as a lot of Turkish soldiers drowned into it. The survival is still celebrated with a devotion at the Illés-stone every year. In the 1750s, a new branch of agriculture appeared: in the garden plots fruit and grapes were grown. In 1848-49, 99 citizens of the settlement fought in the war of independence. In the 1850s, due to the regulation of waterways, the geographical situation of the village changed. The bends of the river were cut, dams were built. The visitors today can enjoy the beach of the river, which is the biggest sandy beach of the region Middle-Tisza.
The territory is famous for the cherry orchard of the settlement, which takes up more than 200 hectar. It was György Petrovay, a landlord, who naturalized the cherry from Germersdorf. The fruit is exported to Italy, Germany and the Baltic countries today.
The unforgettable atmosphere of the village, its folklore buildings and sandy beach have attracted thousands of tourists for years. The guests can also enjoy a visit to a still-room, the craftmens exhibitions and fairs, and can taste the famous, traditional cake, cirkoskalács, which is baked in the outdoor oven of the folklore museum. There is also a beautiful line for eco-tourists, and the calm water of the river Tisza makes it possible to enjoy a good swim or fishing under the willows.
In spring, the tourists can go through the blossoming cherry orchard in a coach, in June the Cherry Festival celebrates the fruit. Every year, there are craftman- and folk dance camps. One of the stops of the National Tisza Tour can also be found here.
On the hill of the village there used to be a monastery, which was founded either by the Johannites or by the knights of Malta. According to other opinions, it could have been a national monastery. In the 13th century, the building was damaged by the Tartar desolution, later it was totally destroyed by the Turkish. The ruins were buried under the water in the time of the regulations.